AFDB Contracts Assistant 2018 Vacancy
Position title: Contracts Assistant
Position N°: 50050050
Publication date: 10/04/2018
Closing date: 24/04/2018
Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The primary roles of the General Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, works and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered. To this end the CHGS department formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programs for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties. The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets (valued at over UA 100,000,000). The CHGS department comprises 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement. These divisions are: (i). Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS.1); (ii). Corporate Procurement Division (CHGS.2); and (iii). Support Services Division (CHGS.3).
The objective of this job will be to administer contracts; liaise with User Departments and with suppliers to monitor performance, to ensure compliance and to resolve any eventual disputes. The job holder provides support to the planning activities of the contracting function and preparing relevant statistics.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the Supervision of the Chief Procurement Officer, the Senior Contracts Assistant will:
1. Administer contracts; liaise with User Departments and with suppliers to monitor performance, to ensure compliance and to resolve any eventual disputes.
2. Review and approve contracts within the delegated authority threshold.
3. Prepare regular progress reports on contracting activities and answer questions concerning procurement and contracting.
4. Schedule and attend meetings with user departments to discuss and resolve contracting issues.
5. Provide support to the contracting activities of the procurement function and preparing relevant statistics.
6. Develop templates and guidance documents for the contracting function of the department.
7. Deliver training to user departments for improved contract management within the Bank.
8. Develop and monitor contract administration program pre and post award, providing guidance and direction to support the implementation of work relative to contract issues.
9. Develop and manage contract renewal schedules for all ongoing requirement contracts.
10. Support clients’ efforts in creating annual works program estimates and plans.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Bachelor Degree or its equivalent in business administration, economics, law, marketing, management, computer science or other related fields.
2. Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience as a contract administrator, contract manager or relevant role with experience from private sector being an added advantage.
3. Good understanding, interpretation and application of the Bank’s rules and procedures and public procurement principles.
4. Knowledge of legal requirements involved with contracts.
5. Familiarity with accounting procedures.
6. Experience in contracting and contract monitoring.
7. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
8. Demonstrate careful attention to detail or essential elements and accuracy of information before making a decision or delivering the information.
9. Ability to break down complex situations, examine it from various angles, develop practical and realistic recommendations / solutions
10. Ability to understand how clients perceive and assess quality of services provided and answer internal or external clients’ requests quickly
11. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
12. Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Practical knowledge of SAP systems will be an advantage.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG