A law firm representing Morgan Freeman sent a 10-page letter to CNN on Tuesday protesting a report last week in which several women, mostly anonymous, said they had experienced some form of sexual harassment from the actor.
The letter said the network’s reporting was a “product of malicious intent, falsehoods” and reflected “an absence of editorial control, and journalistic malpractice.” The letter also said, “it is clear that CNN has defamed Mr. Freeman.” Mr. Freeman’s team demanded a retraction and a public apology.
The 80-year-old was accused of repeatedly behaving in ways that made women feel uncomfortable on film sets and at his production company Revelations Entertainment, in an investigation by CNN.
The actor had initially apologised to “anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected” following the reports, but in a second statement said that he “did not assault women”.
News network CNN has fired back at Actor Morgan Freeman and stood by its report alleging that he was guilty of harassment and inappropriate behaviour towards women in the workplace.
A spokesman for the network said: “The unfounded accusations made by Mr Freeman’s lawyer are disappointing and are difficult to reconcile with Mr Freeman’s own public statements in the aftermath of the story. CNN stands by its reporting and will respond forcefully to any attempt by Mr Freeman or his representatives to intimidate us from covering this important public issue.”
The response came hours after Freeman’s legal team sent a 10-page letter to CNN chief Jeff Zucker, threatening a lawsuit.