Sixty-one people have died in the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the authorities said, adding that four novel drugs had been added to the roster of treatments.
The health ministry’s General Directorate for Combatting Disease said 103 cases of Ebola had been recorded in the eastern DRC as of August 22, 76 of which had been confirmed by laboratory tests.
Of the 103 cases, there were 61 deaths, 34 of which been confirmed by lab tests, while 27 others were considered “probable” cases of Ebola.
The outbreak began on August 1 in Mangina in North Kivu province, and cases have been reported in neighbouring Ituri province.
It is the 10th outbreak to strike the DRC since 1976, when Ebola was first identified and named after a river in the north of the country.
The outbreak in eastern DRC was declared a week after WHO and the government hailed the end of a flare-up in northwestern Equateur province, at the other end of the vast country, which killed 33 people.