A Nigerian singer based in the US, identified as Faridah Seriki, popularly known as Kah-Lo, has taken to her Instagram page to share the good news of her nomination to America’s 2017 Grammy Awards.
“Oluwa did it! Riton has all the swag sauce,” Kah-Lo wrote.
Recall that for the past 48hours, Nigerians on social media were celebrating Wizkid’s feat, who was also nominated for the prestigious award for his production in Drake’s ‘Views’ album.
According to TheCable Lifestyle, below are 7 things to know about the little-known Nigerian singer, Kah-Lo, who has seen her stock rise as immense attention are directed at her.
1. The self-proclaimed monotone princess is the daughter of Demola Seriki, a former minister of Defence and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos state.
2. Kah-Lo is an alumna of Vivian Fowler Memorial College for girls and Hofstra Journalism in the United States of America.
3. She was nominated in the Best Dance Recording category for her work in ‘Rinse & Repeat’, a song owned by Henry ‘Riton’ Smithson, a British disc jockey.
4. ‘Rinse & Repeat’, a deep house dance track, was released as a digital download in the United Kingdom on February 26, 2016. The song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 13 and at number 2 on the UK Dance Chart.
5. ‘Rinse & Repeat’ has been streamed 5 million times on Spotify and played 1.5 million times on YouTube less than a month after its release.
6. ‘Betta Riddim’, Kah-Lo’s recent collaboration with Riton, is already enjoying heavy rotation on radio.
7. ‘Rinse and repeat’ was inspired by Christmas celebrations in Lagos. When asked by a fan on her website, she said: “It’s about Christmas in Lagos, Nigeria. It’s a party every day”.