Funerals are being held in Gaza for 58 people killed on Monday when Israeli troops opened fire during Palestinian protests.
The burials coincide with the 70th anniversary of what Palestinians call the Nakba – a mass displacement of Palestinians after Israel’s creation.
Israel’s military said it was preparing for further confrontations on Tuesday.
But Palestinian groups indicated they intended to rein in the protests, this is the deadliest day of violence there since a war in 2014.
Monday’s violence came as the US inaugurated its first embassy in Jerusalem, a controversial move that broke with decades of US policy and incensed Palestinians.
Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state and see the US move as backing Israeli control over the whole of the city – which Israel regards as its indivisible capital.
BBC reports that Palestinian officials said that, as well as those killed, about 2,700 people, had been injured in Monday’s violence – which they condemned as a massacre.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his military was acting in self-defense against Gaza’s Islamist rulers, Hamas, who seek to destroy Israel. Israel’s military said it had only fired at “targets of terrorist activity”.