So here’s a quick recipe on how to cook Coconut rice.
I’m a dude and yes i know how to cook, for those of you wondering. I can cook Jollof rice or Spaghetti, Okro, Bitterleaf, Egusi, Oha, and Vegetable soups as well as a whole range of them (feeling myself). But for today we’re going to guide you on how to cook Coconut rice.
Also read: Where to find the best street food in Lagos.
As it turns out, the dish is widely cooked in different parts of the world all the way from Puerto Rico, Colombia and Panama, Thailand, Malaysia etc. In Nigeria, coconut rice is made by cooking rice in the juice of shredded coconut flesh (the white inside section obviously).
Ingredients for our Coconut rice recipe.
- 150ml Tomato Stew
- 100ml Coconut Milk (You get the coconut milk by soaking the shredded coconut flesh in hot water and then draining it.)
- 1 Medium sized Onion bulb
- Pepper & Salt (to taste)
- Ground Crayfish (optional)
- 500g Parboiled Rice
- Seasoning Cubes
- 100ml Chicken or Beef Stock
- Pour the tomato stew, meat stock and Coconut milk into a pot and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes have elapsed, pour the parboiled rice into the mixture.
- Add your seasoning cubes, onions, pepper, salt, and Crayfish. (Note: Make sure the water in the pot is at the same level with the rice.).
- Cover the pot and allow to cook under medium heat until the water in the pot is dried up.
- Your Coconut rice is ready!
Have any questions about our Coconut rice recipe? Ask in the comments below.