Confederations of African Football (CAF) President Ahmad has confirmed that Cameroon is still in line to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). Ahmad was quick to stifle rumours that had spread through social media that CAF had plans to take the continental tournament away from Cameroon.
According to BBC Sport, next year’s Nations Cup is set to be the first to feature 24 teams and will be hosted in June and July rather than earlier in the year as was previously done. CAF President Ahmad Ahamd received by Cameroon President Paul Biya.
Speaking during a meeting with Cameroon President in Yaonde on Tuesday, October 2, Ahmad said that Cameroon was doing everything in its power to ensure all was set.
“President Biya has given us the assurance that he will give all to ensure that all the projects are completed on time,” Ahmad said.
Present in the meeting was former Indomitable Lions captain Samuel Eto’o, who Ahmad thanked for his commitment to ensuring that plans for AFCON went on as proposed.