Are you a true Liverpool fan or a new convert of Liverpool? Here are some of the fun facts you should know about Liverpool:
- The original strip of Liverpool was blue and white quarters even if they may be known as The Reds.
- The Liverpool Football Club, Anfield, belonged to Everton FC in 1884. The former owners fell out over the rent they were being charged and they moved to Goodison Park in 1891.
- Liverpool was founded in the year 1892. However, first Liverpool Football Club was founded in the year 1857.
- Liverpool has won a total of five European Cups, 18 League Titles, three UEFA Cups, eight League Cups, and seven FA Cups.
- The club was involved in a betting scandal in the year 1915 which led to the lay off of four of its players.
- Liverpool has not finished lower than 8th since their first season back in the top division in 1963.
- At their first game, only 100 supporters appeared in a stadium with a capacity of 20,000 spectators.
- The well known ‘THIS IS ANFIELD’ sign was erected by Bill Shankly for one purpose: to instill fear in the opposition players. Coach Jurgen Klopp has also forbidden current Liverpool players from touching the sign by until the club wins a trophy.
- Liverpool lost the World Club Championship in 2005 to Sao Paulo because three goals were disallowed for offside.
- Xabi Alonso, the former Liverpool player, holds the English record of scoring an impressive goal from the longest distance, 64 yards in open play.
We hope it was a good read. After the Liverpool versus Barcelona match, we hope your love for the club increases.